Dirt and stains are caused by weather conditions and dirt and grime from the surrounding grounds. This can lead to unsightly deposits as well as the growth of mold and fungus on a gravestone. So, it’s important to clean a gravestone regularly and maintain it carefully to keep it looking clean.
Tips To Clean a Gravestone
- Always clean the gravestone as gently as possible.
- Avoid cleaning your gravestone if it shows some signs of chipping, scaling or other forms of deterioration.
- Avoid using a dry brush as it can damage the gravestone by removing the upper layers of the stone, causing it to deteriorate faster.
- Always begin your cleaning job with clean water and a clean brush.
- Using soft water is the best and safest way to clean your gravestone.
- Only use wooden tools to clean marbles as plastic tools can lead to scratches.
- Do not use soaps, phosphoric acid, and other strong acids and bases to clean a gravestone, as they may tend to be harmful.
- You can use non-ionic detergents to clean a gravestone as they do not cause the deposit of soluble salts on the gravestone.
- To remove mold or fungus accumulated on the gravestone, use ammonium hydroxide or household ammonia mixed with a cup of water.
- Avoid using chlorine bleach as it may leave stains on the stone.
Cemetery Monuments in Westchester, NY
If you are cleaning a very old gravestone, hiring a cleaning specialist can help you clean the gravestone without causing any damage to it. Experts at Polchinski Memorials in Westchester, NY maintain a strong reputation for offering the highest quality, most professional and attentive service. If you are looking for gravestone cleaning service in NY, contact the experts at Polchinski Memorials at 914-984-4198.